Since the WaTiki Indoor Waterpark’s grand opening along Elk Vale and I-90 in 2006, Rapid City locals have claimed the largest indoor water park in western South Dakota. The 30,000 square foot water world of family fun and all-encompassing entertainment has seen nothing but success in the last six years of operation, pulling crowds from the greater Black Hills area and attracting tourists that come from all over the United States.
Fun-seekers who once claimed the experience of the largest indoor water park on the western side of the state will return to find a WaTiki that’s twice as big as that which opened in 2006. A round of construction projects that will more-than-double the size of the WaTiki Indoor Waterpark will begin in phases.
More Splashes, More Watiki!
The goal is to build a water park to join ranks with other regional destinations, such as the Wisconsin Dells in south-central Wisconsin and Water World in Denver Colorado. Although its 70,000 feet won’t rival either of these locations in sheer size, the new WaTiki Waterpark Resort will be the only water attraction of its kind in the region.
Expansion features will include:
- A Wave Pool- a large, wave-generating swimming pool mimics an ocean-side experience and elevates a water park’s entertainment value with a cutting-edge attraction. WaTiki’s new zero-depth entry wave pool will power waves up to 4-feet high.
- An Activity Pool- athletic types will enjoy taking sport to the water with four inward-facing basketball hoops.
- An Indoor/Outdoor Hot Tub- when the time comes to kick back and relax, WaTiki’s new indoor/outdoor hot tub provides bubbles, extensive in-tub seating, and a swim-up hot tub bar.
- A Toddler Pool Area- for the little tykes, the water park is adding shallow waters and pint-size slides—something to boost the fun-factor for younger WaTiki patrons while easing the minds of supervising parents.
- An Above-Pool Projection Screen- guests will be able to watch televised sports and events from the water! Those with eyes glued to the screen will no longer be restricted to the televisions in Sliders Bar & Grill.
- A High-Flying Zipline- with this one-of-its-kind indoor zipline, patrons can observe the pool and slide action from above as they sail through the air-space over the water park.
- A New Arcade & Retail Store- while the current arcade will be replaced by new Reef Suites, a larger facility for arcade games will be built in-conjunction with a WaTiki retail area.
The expansion of the WaTiki Indoor Waterpark will also include exhilarating new additions to the attraction’s collection of exciting waterslides:
- The Whizzard- a two-lane, mat slide for racing in timed competition—an opportunity to engage in some fun and friendly competition!
- The “Banzai” Slide- a gripping ride that releases sliders at 35-mph when the bottom drops out of the launching pad.
- The Aqualoop- a seriously thrilling ride that drops sliders down a 50-foot vertical before catapulting them through an inclined loop at 37-mph.
New Reef Suites
For overnight guests, the re-invented WaTiki Indoor Waterpark Resort will feature three or four brand new Reef Suites that look out over the attraction from the space where the arcade currently sits.
Residence Inn by Marriot
The introduction of the WaTiki Indoor Waterpark expansion will also include the grand opening of a new Residence Inn by Marriot that will join the water park’s two existing and adjoining hotels: the Fairfield Inn & Suites of Rapid City and La Quinta Inn & Suites of Rapid City.
This deluxe addition to the complex will feature:
- 145 New Guest Rooms.
- Spacious Suites with Full-Kitchens.
- Outdoor Common Areas with Fire Pits and BBQs.
- Convention Space with 400-Person Capacity.
- Room Service from Sliders Bar & Grill.
- Discounted Access to WaTiki Indoor Waterpark.
The luxurious and comfortable suites at the Residence Inn by Marriot will cater to extended-stay guests in search of lodging that fills the role of a “home away from home.” This addition will lead the way in breaking into the deluxe style, extended-stay market in the Black Hills area.